Since a video was published of a dog doing what they have dubbed the “egg challenge”, in which a golden retriever holds a raw egg in its mouth, the criticism has not been long in coming.
It all started with the video of a 17-year-old student named Haley Bowers, who appears giving a raw egg to “Sookie”, her aunt’s golden retriever.
Along with the video of the dog holding the egg, the young woman wrote the following message: “My aunt read on the internet that the mouth of a golden retriever is so soft that they can hold an egg in their mouth without breaking it, so she tried it on her dog. and he did well.”
The dog remains holding the egg with his mouth and as a result of this, many people have wanted to imitate and record the “egg challenge” with his dog.
What at first glance may seem like something nice, some veterinarians have branded it as true madness and have explained that it could end up suffocating the dog.
Sookie’s owner is a veterinarian and explained that she knew her dog would never eat the raw egg and she would have spit it out if she had bitten into it.
“There is a danger of suffocation since the egg can lodge in the dog’s throat. However, there is also a risk of the dog contracting an infection from bacteria that is present on the outside of the eggshell, for example salmonella.
Salmonella can be present both inside and outside the shell, so even if the egg doesn’t break, if the bacteria is present on the outside of the shell, it could cause health problems like diarrhea and vomiting.” Paula Parker.